ikea faucet installation how to: something you need to know

Oh Ikea… how do I love thee? I could go on forever counting the ways. For me, there is something cathartic about putting together your cute furniture, and a sense of accomplishment that comes along with it that is unlike most other things in this world. HOWEVER (and that is a BIG however), occasionally, you throw a major curve ball at me, and your other customers, and we have to figure out how to make the strange situation work for us.

This is a story of one of those curve balls.

After redoing the main bathroom’s shower and all of the headache that came with it, I refused to go back to using my shitty master bath’s vanity, so I figured I could just “add that on” to the other project. Most of all, it was easy fixes; there is nothing wrong with the shower in our master, and the floor is okay, so I just painted (sassy green!), and thought a new vanity and medicine cabinet was all I needed. For the most part, I have been 100% correct; I am totally happy with all of the somewhat minor changes that I have made. I LOVE the new cabinet, and the vanity is way more compact, and looks way more high end than the one that was in there since we moved in. However (there’s that word again!), I hit a snag when I went to connect the new faucet to the water supply line.
ikea faucet installation: something you NEED to know!
As you can see in the above picture, the lines were just a little too short, but that wasn’t the real problem; the fitting was completely different than the fitting of my previous faucet, which meant that they would not connect to the supply lines.

In fact, it should be stated to anyone that considers ever getting Ikea faucets, that their supply connection STANDARD is 1/2″ (which actually measures 1″ in diameter, which is just odd), not the 3/8″ standard for the United States (NOTE: I could be getting this backwards (but I’m pretty sure I’m not): Ikea says, “Connection hoses with 3/8″ connection included.”, but I’m fairly certain it was a 1/2″ connector at the end of the supply line… regardless, it doesn’t fit.). So what does that mean, exactly? Well, it means that the Ikea supply connections are far bigger than the existing connections that come out of your wall, and well, to put it bluntly, it just won’t work. I found this interesting, because it isn’t mentioned ANYWHERE in the Ikea manual for the faucet.

Hmmm…

So here’s what I did:

First, I googled the situation. I managed to find out that this is only a slightly known issue for those that have ventured into the realm of Swedish flat pack furniture, and lucky for me, there were solutions! So here’s what I had to do…

1) I went to Lowes, and was told they didn’t have what I needed. Don’t waste your time, go DIRECTLY to Ace Hardware, because they have everything you need; which differs from Steve’s (somewhat more complicated, sorry Steve!) solution I linked to above. Here’s what you will need:
2 connection adapters (not sure that’s what they are called); these will be the connection between the Ikea hoses and your new hose. It should be 1/2″ on the Ikea end, and 3/8″ on the other end for the new hose.
2 new faucet connector hoses, standard 3/8″ fittings on each end.

And that’s it!!

Now, here are some pictures, because this is incredibly difficult to explain just using words:
This is the new hose that I was describing with the male/male adapter installed on top:
ikea faucet installation: something you NEED to know!
This will be screwed into the Ikea faucet connector:
ikea faucet installation: something you NEED to know!
Now, the the Ikea faucet is screwed into an adapter, and that adapter is now screwed into a hose that has the standard connector for the supply line coming out of the wall. We’re all set!!!

This is what it looked like when I got everything all in:
ikea faucet installation: something you NEED to know!
$25 dollars and a little elbow grease, and it works like a charm. Now, I don’t know why those hoses start at 12″, causing me to have to snake it around like that, but I don’t care as long as it fucking works, and it does.

So, if you plan on getting a cute little sink, and oh-so-easy to install faucet to go with said sink, be sure to come back and reference this post. It will save you time, because you won’t have to start out empty handed; you can get the adapters and new hoses before you start!

Oh the joys of DIY home improvement… right?! Needless to say, I am more than happy with my “new” bathroom(s), and I can let out a sigh of relief and go back to loving Ikea wholeheartedly (even though I MAY have cursed their name a few points during the project); but don’t even get me started on that weird ass p-trap and the nonsense that went into getting that cluster fuck to work.

UPDATE: It didn’t occur to me to post pictures of the sink/faucet (I was focused on the stress of getting the damn thing installed), but Shan’s request reminded me; so here you go: (I may update this with actual photos of MY cabinet/sink/faucet in the near future, so check back for that)

87 comments for “ikea faucet installation how to: something you need to know

1. November 11, 2012 at 1:54 am

I think that no one would anticipate this problem. Most are not plumbers. Most are changing out shitty faucets. (done it before – EASY, right – I thought so!) We are smart, savvy and would never think that the new fancy faucet we love would not connect at the water line. I thought that the thirty minutes taking out the old thing and looking at the new one that seemed so cleverly engineered was a cinch! I spent 30 minutes on the old and excitedly “almost” finished the new in 5 minutes until that caused a look on water connection lines, etc – Not compatible! No water in the kitchen tonight. Back to the store early tomorrow to buy the adapter. . .

Seems like this is a money maker for somebody . . .

2. Jarl
    January 3, 2013 at 9:11 am

Thanks for posting this!
    I am facing the same problem, just the other way around. Bought a kitchen faucet in the US and want to install it on a G3/8 wall valve in Norway.

The problem is that no one here ever heard about the 9/16”-24 UNEF for mounting on a 3/8” compression outlet. The combination with the fine threads and the cone is a non standard in these parts.

I am currently asking around in the US, for any plumber or specialists that may be able to help me out with an adaptor or put together a solution like the presented in this thread (just opposite).

Appreciate any tips!

Here’s some pictures:

3. Karen
    March 23, 2013 at 6:31 pm

A few years down the road and I find my husband and I installing a new kitchen faucet (not Ikea, but it’s identical to one they sell nonetheless), and we’ve encountered the exact same problem. Old man is out on his way to Lowe’s – where he will call me to tell me they don’t have what he needs. Thankfully, I’ve just read this and can send him across the street to Ace Hardware, where I usually START my search for stuff…because nobody ever has the cuhraaaazy stuff I need to fix my house. Thanks!!! Here’s hoping our fix goes as well as yours did!

4. Gail
    July 17, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I have an insoluble question: I have a metric Franke tap/faucet and would like to connect it to a hose. But guess what? They don’t have them in England! So what do other people do in my position?

I’d be grateful for any tips. Thanks so much. Gail

5. Gail
    July 17, 2013 at 3:47 pm

PS should have added the I meant a garden hose, to water my plants. Thanks

6. Firehouse Fixer Upper
    July 29, 2013 at 11:48 am

Thank you so very much! You are a Saint! Ikea is awful and has been trouble since they dropped off 64 boxes aka our new kitchen! Should have spent $1000 and had it installed! You made the last few steps of this nightmare all better. Thank you!

7. Kevin
    September 2, 2013 at 2:35 am

Does anyone have a link to the adapter so it can be purchased from the web? I’m in Italy trying to install a Moen faucet that I ordered from Amazon. Same issues that this article was written about–faucet hose fittings are not the same size as the ones coming from the house. Thanks in advance!

8. Kurt
    October 1, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Good news for future Ikea installers: They are now carrying models in North America that have the standard North American connection sizes. My wife just bought one of these Dalskar faucets, and I connected the supplied water lines directly to my existing plumbing connections with no adapters needed.

9. Karen
    October 8, 2013 at 3:10 am

So, the drain plumbing is standard? The only issue is with the faucet connections? (I ask as I’m considering an Ikea sink – much like yours and dread a huge plumbing bill when my plumber becomes confused and ends up charging me for time spent in that condition — yes, I need a new plumber!)

10. mickey diamond
    October 8, 2013 at 5:06 pm

That was Great Guy…because I have the same problem……thanks a lot!!!!!!!

11. Latician
    January 28, 2014 at 9:08 am

Just bought the IKEA faucet Dalskar – yes, the lines were too long but the good news is the connectors are now 3/8″. So with a 12″ extension line and two connectors all is connected Big call out to Steve at the ACE store in Saline for plumbing pars and assistance

12. Ralph
    February 2, 2014 at 7:19 am

I installed an Ikea Dalskar bathroom faucet. No problems with connectors. BUT I have a problem with water flow. Very little water comes out. (Hot or cold) I checked the supply flow and that’s good and prentyfull. I’m on the second floor of my house and the water tank is about 13 feet above and I have sufficient pressur in my shower. I removes the filters at the mouth of the tap to see if I could get more water, to no avail. Is there something in the body of the valve that is inhibiting water flow?

13. DryKiv
    February 27, 2014 at 9:09 pm

I’m having issues with the Rorskor faucet – it doesn’t fire the water far enough out into the sink. Anyone else having issues and possible solutions?

14. nancy
    March 22, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Thanks so much! We are getting ready to buy an IKEA sink/cab/faucet, very helpful!!!

15. Jim
    March 30, 2014 at 9:19 am

Yes, Ikea is now making the faucet lines standard for American connections, but if the water line supplied with the Ikea faucet is too short, as was the case with mine, then you need to find a work around to get the extra length needed. I don’t know why they don’t simply sell the faucet separate from the supply line as American faucet makers do. Then you could simply go out and find the correct length. Nonetheless, It seems simple to just get another line and attach to the Ikea line, but the connection ends are all female, and I couldn’t find the correct compression adapter. So I bought a water line that is designed for use with copper pipe, unscrewed the end nut (creating a male end) and voila – extended water line that cost $5.00.

16. Megan
    March 30, 2014 at 9:10 pm

The white Ikea plumbing tubes aren’t the same size as the black plumbing pipe I need to hook it up to in my wall. My local hardware store didn’t have any kind of adaptor that would fit. Does anyone know of a chain hardware store in Canada that would carry this type of adaptor? Or any other suggestions for what I could use? Thank you in advance!!

17. zilla
    May 1, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Megan….we had the same problem…my husband found an adaptor at canadian tire. Then he frankensteined it all together somehow. He says he used a bow ABS adaptor 1 1/4″ . One side should screw into the ikea pipe the other side will slip onto the black pipe. We are now having a problem with the supply hoses leaking. They were too short coming from the ikea faucet so we bought a set of braided steel mesh supply hoses and two coupling adaptors. We thought we would be finished tonight but now they are leaking and we dont know why.

18. dave
    May 14, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I actually had the opposite problem. The fittings on the Ikea faucets were 1/2″ and my feeds are 3/4″ Odd….

19. Domenic Cicci
    May 28, 2014 at 2:07 am

Thank you for this. Had the exact same problem myself and the folks at HomeDepot and home hardware could not help me out. Unfortunately I live quite a ways from those stores so we have been without a kitchen faucet for some days now. Glad to have a solution now, thanks!

20. Kim
    June 10, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I bought an Ikea cabinet and sink for my bathroom. Has anyone tried to just install a regular single Kohler or American Standard faucet? With all of the negative chatter about their faucets, I presume other American faucets can be used with their sinks. Does anyone know for sure? I have heard about the issues with their sinks I can work around that part.

21. Javier
    August 22, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Thanks for the info. Our problem is that the hoses are too short and we also want the freedom to move the sink cabinet a few inches so it’s good to know we can get an adaptor and another hose to lengthen it. IKEA must have corrected the size since 2009 because ours came with the 3/8 connection. It looks like that’s standard because that’s the only size I see in home depot.

22. beau
    November 24, 2014 at 2:38 pm

the dalskar fixture is leaking under valve handle

23. Edie
    December 5, 2014 at 4:18 pm

How funny! I had the opposite problem – the ikea ones were too small (AND too short) to screw into the lines under my kitchen sink. If Ikea wants to up their game in this department they should have the different sizes and maybe some adaptors as well in store.
    Ah well. I guess it leaves the little hardware stores around here something to do.

24. Haze
    January 30, 2015 at 2:46 pm

aannnd this is still going on.. I just bodged mine today with 2 extra hoses and adaptors before I found your page.. but I don’t like this fix, there is too much hose and too many places it could leak from. I will try and source a mail 1/2″ to female 3/8″ adaptor and put that straight into the supply tap.
    p.s. mine was also the opposite to the OP.. Ikea delivered with a 3/8″ connector and the supply is 1/2″.. I am in the Middle East.

25. Brian
    March 9, 2015 at 6:49 pm

I have installed a Pfister Jaida on the Odensvik sink in the past so you do not have to use an IKEA faucet with their sinks.

Today I picked up 3 more sinks/cabs. and it looks like they are now using 1-1/2″ traps instead of 1-1/4″ so if your wall plumbing is set up to accept 1-1/4 you will have to change that. Not sure why they did this, 1-1/4″ is plenty for a little vanity sink/faucet. My Dalskar came with the standard 3/8″ setup which is funny cuz now most US faucets are coming with the 1/2″.

26. Susan
    April 15, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Brian,

My contractor is trying to install a Kohler single-hole bathroom faucet (Alteo line) into an Ikea sink/counter combo, but says there’s an issue with the sink’s overflow being European-style and not compatible with the faucet.. I called Kohler, and they didn’t know what I was talking about. DOes this ring a bell for you?

27. Jay
    June 2, 2015 at 2:44 am

I am in north America and got the dalskar faucets, it came with 9/16″ pipes. The manual also states that that is what they now come with for North America. I can not find a male coupling adapter to fit into their 9/16″ connector, and the adapter attached to my pvc water pipes is 1/2″ Great -.- I have 4 of these faucets too, and I can not hook them up. As much as I like some of Ikeas stuff, and how they encourage DIY…… this is kinda peeving me off. I have been searching for hours.

28. LESLIE
    June 17, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Thank you, this has been a huge help!! My downstairs bathroom remodel has been a huge (long) work in progress. I ran into this problem on the day that I was determined to finally finish. To say I was beyond pissed, is an understatement. I have had TWO failed trips to Menards because I had no idea what specifically I should be looking for to solve this issue. I’ve bought the hoses but still needed the adapters. Will be making a trip out to ACE tonight..Thank you, Thank you.

29. vixenmoto@hotmail.com
    August 11, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Can I install a separate black sprayer on IKEA’s GLITTRAN faucet? I have a hole for it, but unfortunately it doesn’t come with it.

30. Marie
    November 17, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Is there a way to remove the piece that reduces water pressure. I think it’s called aeration from an ikea faucet? I love mine but don’t love the lower pressure, particularly in the kitchen

31. Joanne
    July 10, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! We ran into the same problem today! You are a life saver!!

32. Ellen Breonte
    July 17, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Ok here goes I’m not a professional in bathroom but I do know what I can and can not do. I have a problem getting a vanity for my bathroom which is small. Forty seven and half is the opening. I have not found anything that size. What would be my options I will have some decent amount to spend. But since I have. Bin sick money is a little tight. Any suggestions on what to do?

33. Patrick
    October 16, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Great post! I have the same problem and could not find similar fittings at Loews or Home Depot. I’ll try Ace.

34. curtis brooks
    December 6, 2016 at 6:17 am

We need 3 Unit, Kindly let me know the unit price for each, Also let me know if there is 11SQF-2 Grundfos submersible solar Pump
    Material Number: 95027335
    Pump Type: Helical Rotor
    Maximum Head:395 ft.
    Maximum Flow: 3 GPM
    Motor Type: MSF 3
    Max. Power Input: 900 W
    Maximum Current: 8.4 A
    AP 230 Volt Air Pump

35. Margaret
    January 21, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Hi the same thing happened to me, except I had one additional step. The faucet holes in my existing countertop were too small. I bought diamond tipped hole cutters for granite to cut the countertop. Those hole cutters worked very well. Now I am having the hose problem. Thanks for your help.

36. Thomas killcrece
    January 26, 2017 at 9:54 am

Ureaka –problem solved! So we also updated a bathroom and ran into problems with the water lines from faucet not being long enough to meet the supply lines ? But Home Depot had our fix. They sell a flexible line that attaches to your water supply line (from the copper pipe) right to the flex line from faucet. Perfect fit, no fuss.

37. Thomas killcrece
    January 26, 2017 at 9:59 am

Follow up with more info on supply line to extend IKEA flex lines…..what we bought from Home Depot was 3/8 x 3/8 by 12 inch braided faucet supply line. Cost about $4.86.