what do you have against gay people, Katy Perry?

If you don’t know who Katy Perry is, she is the chick that has made a hit out of kissing a girl (even though Jill Sobule did it many years ago, and unlike Perry, didn’t seem to have any issues with it) and then telling the world about it. As much as I wanted to like the song “I Kissed a Girl” (currently #2 on iTunes) by Perry, I initially didn’t feel like it was a good message. She sings about how it feels “wrong”, and even worse, she says that kissing girls isn’t what “good girls do”. However, after looking at the song from a different perspective, I figured that maybe she didn’t mean that at all; in fact, perhaps what good girls don’t do, is cheat on their boyfriends… and in that case, this song is playful, and not grounded in hate at all.

However (and a HUGE however), after checking her out further, and really trying to give her the benefit of the doubt with her “experimentation” with homosexual kissing, I found something that really makes me scratch my head and wonder if there is some problem that Katy has with gay people. She has a song called “Ur So Gay”, which has been called the “ultimate kiss-off” to a boy that was too “full of himself” to give her the time of day. In the song, she describes everything “wrong” with him, building to the conclusion that he must be gay, even though he doesn’t like boys (which, is the actual only ACCURATE use of the word gay… that which is glaringly absent from her song).

While many will see this accurately as a joke, the underlying message is too clear to ignore; Katy sees being gay as wrong, abnormal, and most importantly, as an insult that she uses to make herself feel better for being dissed. What’s wrong with that, some of you may wonder? Well, the underlying message is hate speech, and here again, I can’t believe that we have yet another example of someone using the description of a person’s sexual orientation as a slur of any kind.

Katy dear, this is 2008. We need to stop using gay as an insult; being gay is normal. If you use “gay” as synonym for bad, negative, horrible, stupid, or any of the many other derogatory words it has been used in place of to place insult, then you are propagating and continuing the underlying bigotry that is so fervent in this country. Continuing this form of “hidden” bigotry is just intolerable, and I for one feel like I must continue to speak out against it.

“Artists” like Katy Perry should be confronted with the fact that their “silly, harmless jokes” are grounded in hateful, shameful, and derogatory feelings that only further the bigotry against gay people in this country. It isn’t “cute” or “funny” that she kissed another girl, it is normal; whether or not she can deal with her homosexual feelings is her problem, not ours.

If you don’t see this as a big deal, ask yourself: would it be cute or funny if she wrote a song about how weird it was for her to kiss a black person?? How do you think that would that go over? Additionally, if she were to write a song about how awful a boy was because he was so “stereotypically black”, how would that sound? Well, I know how it would sound, in one word: RACIST. So I want to know why is it okay to apply that same sentiment to gay people?? Clearly, it isn’t, and I honestly can’t believe that this type of message is still put out there; yet here it is.

Shame on you Katy Perry. Grow up. Become more than that stereotypical playground bully. Gain some intelligence (clearly, that is lacking, because being gay means “liking boys” if you are male, and she doesn’t seem to put two and two together in her song) and perspective, and realize that, even in a “joking” manner, that using the term “gay” to insult someone is causing harm to the gay community in perpetuating the very hate and indifference we are fighting so hard to get rid of. I always cling to the hope that people can be better than they are, but it is people like Katy Perry that continually let me down. Unfortunately, there are people out there that are just waiting to gobble this crap up, and morons like Perry are ready to give them more. I have to ask myself, can there truly be a time when we can all stop the name calling, and just see each other as equal? Can their truly be a time when gay people can be treated as the normal people that we are, and not continually insulted and have our lifestyle continually used as a form of degradation? Little things like this really make me wonder if people are truly capable of that at all, unfortunately.

Sigh. Hopefully, she will fade into the distance soon, and people will rightfully forget about her ignorance; even though it is bound to pop up somewhere else.

138 comments for “what do you have against gay people, Katy Perry?

1. Eve
    August 14, 2008 at 6:30 am

I haven’t read all the comments on this post, so I can’t see if you’ve replied to something like this, but:-

“My main reason for questioning Perry, is because she has not one, but two songs about something related to being gay; which made me wonder what was up, you know? As Christina Riche said it best in the movie the Opposite of Sex, straight people just don’t spend that much time thinking about man on man action.”

Actually, they do. Have you ever heard of slash fanfiction? Widely, widely read and written by, most commonly, straight teenage girls.

2. Otter
    August 15, 2008 at 9:36 am

Wow, this thread is crazy. And I just seem compelled to reply. I only heard ‘Ur So Gay’ for the first time about twenty minutes ago. There was so much controversy, that I just had to get it from iTunes just to see what the fuss was about. I didn’t really like it, but that’s besides the point.

But, I do have to say, hearing anyone using the word ‘gay’ as an insult does really offend me. My younger cousin is going through that phase right now, and trying to get him to understand why its so offensive is like trying to catch a greased pig. Anyway…

And may I just say that I can’t believe the guy that she wrote this about is still talking to her. Sheesh. If one of my ex’s wrote something like that about me, there’d be a lawsuit happening about now.

Like someone said previously, Perry’s songs have been opening up lines of communication where there previously wasn’t even any thoughts about homosexuality. And while ‘I Kissed a Girl’ doesn’t necessarily promote the message that homosexuality is just fine, it does get people to start thinking. And talking. And arguing apparently.

I was expecting a better song, to be honest. Although after reading this thread for a good hour, I was expecting far worse.

I quite liked ‘I Kissed A Girl’, more because I thought her singing wasn’t all that bad. I am, so far, disappointed with the rest of the album.

I did enjoy the thought of having an openly gay male artist doing a cover of ‘I Kissed A Girl’. Seriously, it would rock.

And for the haters…tolerance people. Tolerance. That’s a message for everyone.

Happy Saturday.

3. August 17, 2008 at 5:23 am

Just to say I loved your post and I’m saddened by the kind of bigoted comments people have been leaving.

4. Dan
    August 17, 2008 at 10:57 am

This is just a song for God’s sake!

There are far more things that cause hate towards gays than a song.

5. amie
    August 17, 2008 at 8:44 pm

hey look folks ive listend to both of katy perrys songs and im gay myself and me personaly shes just giving her puoint of view have you ever thought she might just mean other people think its wrong and others right being gay is a more common thing now more people are coming out of the closet its not an omg thing any more

6. HI!
    August 18, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Honestly its just a song. Katy is just out, doing her thing, making it big. I dont understand how people blow things way out of proportion and make them into things that were not intended. Give Katy a break, she’s just doing her job, and making a living. if you dont like her music, its as simple as not listening to her. She has enough fans. a few less wont hurt. All the “haters” who have nothing better to do than sit around a computer talking down about people making a living have no life their self. GET IT GIRL!

7. Drew
    August 18, 2008 at 10:17 pm

Yeah, Katy Perry is a piece of crap… she’s just one of those bitchy straight girls who dumps on gays.

8. Daphne
    August 20, 2008 at 4:10 pm

My personal opinion is that, with “I Kissed a Girl”, she means that “good girls” don’t kiss random people, whose names they don’t know, when they have boyfriends; I’d say that’s an understandable thought.

9. Mitch
    August 21, 2008 at 4:06 am

hahaha.. this makes me laugh my ass off. do you realize where you live? this is the united states of america. we’re a country driven by media.. sex sells, duh. that’s what is on peoples’ minds and of course it’s going to be picked up for regular airplay! lighten up people, we don’t live in 1945 for cryin out loud.

i can’t believe some people are so damn sensitive about that “gay” quip. i could understand if it said something like, “god hates queers” or something completely outlandish like that.. but please, quit being such a sensitive little girl about it. it seems like you’re just looking for something to complain about because you need the attention. sad, my friend, very sad.

AND furthermore look at her background.. she’s christian- mind you not a completely “devout” or “good” christian.. but she was still raised with those christian beliefs of “what a ‘good’ girl should do.”

lighten up or shut up. you’re all making fools of yourselves.

10. Mark
    August 22, 2008 at 11:09 am

I hate it when people are all “Lighten up” when others care about social issues.

“Dear Dr. Martin Luther King,
    Lighten up about civil rights. You’re making a fool out of yourself.”

If people didn’t take a stand against racism or sexism or homophobia (YES, using Gay, as in UR So GAY, as an insult is anti-gay!) then those social ills would not come to be recognized for what they are.

Hats off to people who actually care.

11. xolondon
    August 22, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Mitch’s “quit being such a sensitive little girl about it” says it all really. People who are not open minded often like to pretend they are, but the truth comes out in subtle ways, hence that comment.

I get incredibly worn out by conservatives who throw flames about hypocrisy, etc. You want hypocrisy? Burn a cross and see how they react then. They’re the same people who wanted to have a “straight pride” day at my alma mater. Whatever, I have no time for that bull.

And I would never tell someone quit being a sensitive little girl about it.

12. August 28, 2008 at 12:31 am

hey man, this is brilliant

Society needs to understand that bigotry, no matter how subtle, is still a disgrace. People may claim that ‘gay’ no longer has any relevance as being a homophobic insult, but it is, just because you use the word to the point of disgust doesnt mean it stops being discriminatory. Instead of trying to justify your own dated social commentary perhaps you people should use those brain waves to read a thesaurus and maybe find a new word to show your displeasure with something, that doesnt completely put down an entire group of people. Heaps, HEEEEEAPS funny that you think its fine to think of gay people as second class citizens because of the people they choose to LOVE.

I cant stand this fucking womyn. Katy Perry, you have succeeded in making my skin crawl. You are a joke. Take a reality check, you have the pedestal for the WORLD STAGE, perhaps say something profound instead of cheap, maybe advocate homosexuality? condemn racism? anything, same goes to all pop stars, get a fucking clue. Singing the same old shit for the last 10 years, it makes me sick!!!

13. Brad
    September 1, 2008 at 1:13 am

How about you go to rappers to stop using the N word? Like it or not the word “gay” is slang, and Katy didn’t start it. Not to say it is not hurtful. Same with the word “nigger”. Me being a black guy I’m not the least bothered by the n word, because when people say it, it’s either to get a rile out of someone or the same as calling someone “dude”.

I know some gay people who are totally fine with this song and or like it. I think we all have to look at the context of which these words are being used.

With her song “Ur So Gay”.
    It was about her ex boyfriend who did effeminate/metrosexual things like “wearing guyliner and taking pictures of himself in the bathroom”

Stereotypical? Yes. Hurtful? Apparently to some. But where do we draw the line? What’s fine and whats not ok? I’m all for being courteous to people but soon well get to the point where we don’t say anything in fear of offending others.

14. Jason Perry
    September 5, 2008 at 5:07 am

Lighten up, people are entitled to their own views. If you dont like the song dont listen to it. From what I garner her lyrics are basically satire and not intended to discriminate or promote hate/bigotry. Someone could well write a song about ‘kissing a black man’ or being ‘too black’, once it was a sort of ‘joke / satire’ song based on sterotypes. I would see no problem with it once it did not promote hate.

One thing we must distinguish is that being Gay is not a ‘race’! One can ‘choose’ to accept being gay or not, being of a race is not a question of acceptance it is you identity for life…..

15. September 5, 2008 at 1:28 pm

Jason, you are right about one thing; people are entitled to their opinions, and as such, I am entitled to call those opinions out as bigoted hate speech. I never said being gay was a “race”. However, you are completely wrong; you don’t choose to be gay; you either are, or you aren’t. Not “accepting” the fact that you are gay just makes for a miserable life, wherein one lies to themselves, and is usually wrought with unhappiness. Being gay is a part of my identity, and it shapes my life; by your argument, I assume that you “accepted” your sexuality, and essentially had to “choose”? Not so much.

16. Gr1zz
    September 5, 2008 at 6:09 pm

I’ve heard the “It’s a choice”/”It’s not a choice” thing so many times, and have come to the conclusion that indeed, for some, it is a choice. And there’s a word for those who really have a choice: its called “bisexual”. If they respond to societal pressures and choose the opposite gender, for them, it’s a choice. If they choose to ignore their attraction for members of their own gender, then, obviously, it is a choice!

I suppose the same can be said for those who are gay and “choose” to try and pass, but it’s not quite the same thing. And then, there are straight people who didn’t choose to be straight, and can’t understand why anyone would choose to be anything else. Looking at it this way, it’s easier to understand the “it’s a choice” people.

If you didn’t understand, stop being so Amish, read it again, and let it sink in. Denying bisexuality isn’t just a choice, but a sign of ignorance. Similarly, not acknowledging that for many, there’s no choice, is just so Amish.

(and in case you are totally humour-impaired, I’m using Amish the same way Katy is using another word. :-)

17. het
    September 13, 2008 at 11:38 pm

heh said:
    >And no, I’m not a homophobe. I’m actually gay myself,

wow…i’m not gay & it doesn’t take a genius to see that it’s one step forward, 200 steps back for the gay community with one post. so let’s get started:

1) >Any person today who wished to use the word ‘gay’ in the the traditional sense [would be hindered by the homosexual community’s repurposing of the word ‘gay’]

do you mean… when you’re talking to 150 year olds? (i.e. who else uses the term gay to mean happy…and if they did i don’t think gay/les would care). i mean, what in tarnations?

2) >Homosexuality is clearly a disorder because by its very nature it makes the affected person sexually dysfunctional

god, i would give anything to be your partner right now. ANYTHING. the long-winded conversations & lackluster sex we would have.

and i love the use of the word “affected”. i’m still not gay (since the last couple of paragraphs) and i clearly know people aren’t “affected” with this “affliction” you speak of. i think you need a hug.

3) >because within the normal course of homosexual activity

hah! you said normal! black-black no takebacks!

or is that not PC of me to say?

4) >the person cannot reproduce, even though they are probably perfectly capable of reproduction if they had sex with someone of the opposite sex

you think so, do you? how do you know this?

and i’m glad you pointed out that TO BE NORMAL ya gotta be able TO HAVE BABIES WITHIN YOUR RELATIONSHIP.

oh wait…we can adopt. ok let’s modify:

TO BE NORMAL…you HAVE TO BE ABLE TO HAVE NORMAL BABIES… with YOUR GOD-GIVEN NORMAL PRIVATE PARTS… within a NORMAL relationship with a NORMAL person from the OPPOSITE sex. i.e. a person with parts that don’t look like yours.

i got it now.

no wait – i don’t got it…that is crazy talk. i think you need some validating affirmations taped to your bathroom mirror to peruse while you brush your teeth before heading out.

[re: ur so gay] i think duane’s right – many young impressionable peoples will be listening to this girl & may misconstrue her msg/ rant & feel it’s OK to put the hate out on certain types of people who are different from them (gender, race, etc.) and hate comes in large & small packages. one day your small package of makin’ fun of people behind their back could turn into a situation where people ostracize others in an attempt to impress friends & fit in.

er…ostracize…or tie to a fence & beat to a bloody pulp, left for dead.

an extreme example, but we’ve all seen where hate can lead.

let’s go the other way please.

18. Eoin
    September 18, 2008 at 1:00 pm

The diversity of definitions and attitudes in response to this post is staggering. So many people have valid points in relation to differing interpretations/senses of what to make of this pair of songs. I’m not homophobic and do believe that, all in all, using the word ‘gay’ in a derogatory sense probably does little for the cause of people who already live in a world where they face prejudice and hatred from a pretty huge number of people. This ranges from people who are simply amused by it on the one hand all the way to those who see it as an abomination and, on occasion, assault/even kill someone because of that person’s perceived ‘deviancy’. On the other hand, this usage of the word ‘gay’ does indeed seem quite separate from having anything to do with actually being gay – hence the fact that’s it’s a term sometimes used by openly-gay people themselves. It seems to be the context and intent which matters here. But whatever.

Without elaborating on the (im-)morality of homosexuality itself, my main problem with KP’s ‘Kissed’ song is how contrived, childish, improbable, and uncommitted it seems to me. A daughter of evangelical preachers, KP was (up until a few years ago) well on her way to a career as an evangelical musician. One can respect why she might have genuinely reacted against this and gone in the ‘opposite direction’. But that’s just the point; she hasn’t at all. Her lyrics in Kissed – along with the extent to which these in no way match her actual lifestyle – place Perry as one of the worst/most obnoxious kinds of ‘gay-chic’ poseurs to hit our radios in recent years. As she over-emotionally warbles and ‘rebelliously’ emphasises the words “…and I LIKED IT!”, we can’t help but be struck by a number of things. (1) Girls kissing girls isn’t actually a huge deal these days – certainly not so much as to justify some people’s suggestion that she’s ‘really doing something’ for the gay community. Let’s face it; this is the lipstick-lesbian, bread and butter of the hetero-aimed soft-porn industry – there’s no societal rebellion here. (2) She very overtly ‘reassures’ her listeners/’maw & paw’ by mentioning that she has a boyfriend and that this kissing a girl lark is more about getting his attention (think about the playful “hope my boyfriend don’t mind it”). (3) Perry’s ON RECORD as never having kissed a girl – this ‘confessional’ farce is an act – one presumably hoisted upon us in the same kind of uber-cynical manner as that of the music execs responsible for that pair of twits, TaTu. If anything, this song will REASSURE those who see homosexuality as an abomination in that it demeans, trivialises and makes a fluffy little kitten of genuine homosexuality. The covert message may well be “Don’t worry. Let your daughters (but not sons) play around a little. Eventually they’ll pass through that ‘phase’ and get on with their real, heterosexual lives”.

In brief, Perry is a cynical poseur. There are indeed many gay people who like her music and that’s fine. Lots of people seem to find it catchy. But only the true morons amongst them will actually think that this does any GOOD for their community. Because Perry’s music is little more than a modern, soul-less attempt to cash in on young people’s tendency to be attracted to those things they perceive as having a ‘rebellious’ veneer. And that’s all it is; a cynical (albeit catchy to many), bubblegum-chewing nod in the direction of the true issues surrounding sexual orientation – something for the little girls to listen to whilst pillow-fighting before they become all dreamy-eyed over pictures of Normy High’s ‘star quarterback’. And why shouldn’t they? They’re kids. At 23, Perry isn’t. For shame.

19. Debbie
    October 2, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Well, I’m not going to pick on this young girl. I think she meant no harm, and that’s the main point considering one song she is saying that she likes girls. So, when i hear her song Ur So Gay, she may as well be talking about herself. Get it? Not saying that her song is right, but she is young. That has to be taken into consideration. I like her voice, and her tunes are catchy. That’s what i see. There is a lot of humor in her songs.

So, i hope she grows as an artist, and does not fade into the distance like you wish her to because you are homosexual. That is something you chose, and you have to deal with it. You can’t expect others to understand it, but i think part of homosexuality is caused from feeling somehow different from mainstream society. One of the results of this is homosexuality or being gay as you call it.

I have found a lot of gay people to be extremely defensive over the littlest things not having to do with sexuality. I have found many of them to resent the traditional idea of making a family or being tied to anyone especially those of the opposite sex. It really had nothing to do with sex itself, but when you don’t feel like you have any control with the opposite sex, naturally you are afraid to have sex with them. They lack that sexual confidence, and so they continue to play with their own kind. This starts in childhood which the person never grows out of this adolescent phase.
    In a man’s case, he may have known women in his early upbringing who to him may have seemed to look at sex as shameful. Sometimes the man is brought up very religiously. He may view a woman as almost unearthly; therefore, someone he can’t see having sex with. He may have had a bad experience with a woman where she made him feel ashamed to want sex. These are all false perceptions of women. All women are not like this, but the natural sexual curiosity between the genders or sexes is intentionally blocked by the homosexual. This is not natural, but i believe sexual orientation is ONLY a symptom of something more emotional within a particular individual’s make up.
    When people are emotionally sensitive, some turn to different alternate means to deal with it. One of these choices is the comfortable and safe choice to be homosexual. You say, but it’s not an easy choice. But, I believe it is a more comfortable choice for the sensitive individual. So, since they might feel different from society anyway in other areas, they feel more comfortable with choosing to be gay. yes.

20. Cena
    October 7, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Het: I think “us young people” know enough to decide for ourselves what to do, and won’t be swayed by a stupid pop song.

21. Sha
    October 18, 2008 at 2:59 pm

Great point about racism.

God that girl makes me cross. I read an interview where she said “I kissed a girl” is aimed at women! Has she even seen herself sing? She is not talking to a girl.

What annoys me the most is that she doesn’t even recognise that she’s homophobic. At least when somebody says “I think homosexuality should be illegal” there is no hypocrisy about it.

If only all homophobic playground bullies publicly humiliated themselves with a giant cake.

22. Mel
    November 12, 2008 at 2:21 pm

One can only assume that if Katy Perry thinks reading Hemingway is ‘gay’, then she has never read any Hemingway. Or maybe it’s just reading on the whole that is gay. If so, where might I sign up?

23. Argentinian teenager
    December 7, 2008 at 4:21 pm

Well, first of all I want to tell you that I’m an argentinian, so excuse me if I don’t speak with the proper english or using the right terms…
    Right now I want to thank you, because being gay in my country involves to be a victim of a lot of jokes and hate from all of your partners at school. And I’m not out of the closet yet, so I’m really proud that there’s someone out there who thinks exactly the same as I do!
    I’m going to be honest with you. I loved Katy Perry, and I was actually listening to her songs… until I found your post. I didn’t really know though that she had a song called “you’re so gay” beacuse it’s not a single here, so I searched for the lyrics of that song, and when I started to read it, tears just started to fall from my eyes. It’s sad, beacuse I’m young yet, and I don’t know how to handle such an offense like that…
    Thank you so much for the post.
    I would like if you sent me an e-mail.

24. Argentinian teenager
    December 8, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Oh! Another thing!
    I want to thank God for letting a gay person have such a big inteligence as your’s, because I would be lost if I had to answer all of the comments of these ignorant people!!! And I understand why you HAVE to be so patient about this issue with the ignorant people and you’re not searching for their adresses to go to their houses and fucking kill them for being so freakin’ dumb! Just kidding…
    WE have to be patient and tolerant, because mentality is not going to change from one day to another, but I honestly think that we have to do something BIG, like something massive, to show the world that we are not all the same people… Every person in the world is UNIQUE.

25. Jake
    December 9, 2008 at 3:32 am

Another correct definition of gay is happy, silly.

26. Nat
    December 19, 2008 at 6:44 pm

Gay has multiple definitions, one of them happens to be a common insult used by younger people, especially high schoolers(which appears to be perry’s target audience) others include happy and homosexual. Gay doesn’t have to specifically mean homosexual(obviously, genderless objects or concepts are often described in a derogatory manner as gay). In fact, the only word that does have to is homosexual.

27. Bored Twelve-Year-Old
    March 8, 2009 at 2:42 pm

I don’t think it’s wrong to be gay and I’ve thought that since I learnt what it meant, then I heard UR So Gay in 2008 and liked it. But just because this song is homophobic doesn’t mean I changed my mind. A song isn’t that powerful and I’ll always think it’s okay to be gay and I’ll always like this song so there.

28. Bored Twelve-Year-Old
    March 9, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Also, songs like: Quite Fly, For A White Guy and Viva La White Girl, could be thought of as racist and a lot of songs by rappers such as the song Low (Flo Rida talks about how he prefers women with no clothes and how he likes them “all exposed”) are sexist, so why is UR so gay or I Kissed A Girl any different?

29. James
    November 12, 2009 at 3:51 pm

People really need to quit trying to be so PC and grow a thicker skin. I personally, do not think that gays have to worry about Katy putting them down, as the male homosexual community does a good job of doing that themselves.

Not really, I am a gay man, who happens to be a man, and is gay. It’s not my world, and most of the gay men I have met, are so busy pounding the fact that they are gay down your throat that you begin to wonder if there is anything more to this person, other than they wear their sexuality on their sleeves.

It’s funny how the gay community has somehow adopted the same attitude that racial minorities have. “I can say ‘fa**ot, gay, and queer as much as I want, but you had better not make one derogitory comment about homosexuality, or I’ll be offended!”

Fair is fair, and further, if gay men didn’t live up to the sterotype that comes to mind by a majority of the US. Then her song would definitly be an insult.

30. J
    March 1, 2010 at 11:18 pm

For the record, Katy’s song isn’t about gay *males*. Doesn’t mean the connotations are any less hurtful, but I would agree that a thicker skin is a good thing for gays.

I’m gay, too, and I welcome a challenge; people who confront me about being gay are simply informed that I’m not bothered by it, so why are they? Is there something they want to tell me…? :) That throws most for a loop!

The song, though, I think is about a girl getting shitfaced and kissing another. She’s not gay, she just kissed a girl and …. well you get it.

The song “Ur So Gay” on the other hand… holy crap. Tougher skin aside, since when do adults revert to schoolyard insults? Aside from drunk adults and obvious homophobes, of course. Can we just grow the hell up and find another way to insult each other?

31. March 9, 2010 at 3:07 pm

i feel kind of silly posting this, i mean this thread’s been inactive for awhile now…but i wanted to join this discussion cause the popularity of katy perry kind of got to me too. ‘i kissed a girl’ made me feel uneasy when i heard it. i had a reaction very much like the one so well articulated by eoin above, that katy perry was just shrewdly pandering to the status quo. i mean, this candy-coated (if i may) representation of a lesbian encounter hardly makes katy perry brave. i might be wrong but it seems as though ‘a lot of hetero guys get off on girl/girl action’. you could even imagine that there’s an entire industry devoted to this assumption. so, just postulating here, katy perry would have to be ‘a f**king moron’ not to realize that. katy perry is ‘not a moron’, sex sells, cute lesbian sexuality sells in a male-dominated society; katy perry is a (insert synonym for capitalist whore).

i mean, i try to put things in perspective. how would ‘i kissed a boy’, sung by a boy, go over? idk, but i do know that katy perry wasn’t breaking her neck to find out how the public would respond to a legit gay song.

so whatevs. sorry for wasting ur time, if ur reading this. i know it’s all been said already, better than i did. and maybe i’m just cynical, and it is just a song, and katy perry is just an idiot. i guess the thing that bothers me the most is the defense of katy perry’s songs on the grounds that ‘she didn’t mean anything bad by it.’ okay, lots of ppl don’t ‘mean anything bad’ when they use homophobic slurs. that’s a problem. and there’s a difference between being p.c. and just being aware of the consequences of your actions/words.

something i found amusing/suicide-inspiring: amazon.com’s review of ‘one of the boys’ called ‘ur so gay’ hilarious and ‘zeitgeist-capturing’. signed, ashamed to carry on a societal legacy of passive-agressive gay bashing.

32. Vaglvr
    June 8, 2011 at 2:53 am

Gayness is a disease. A form of mental retardation. The world needs to be rid of it. Gays should be hated and not tolerated.

33. June 8, 2011 at 11:25 am

Vaglvr: You are a vile piece of shit. I’m sure you’ll rot in hell with all of the other vile bigots like yourself. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your hatred! 😉

34. Lia
    June 23, 2011 at 4:10 am

I’m just saying, she isn’t against gay people, she has stated that she is for gay rights many times. She has also said that that song is based off a real person and how he acted, i.e. gay. It is meant in a somewhat negative way I guess but it is also saying that he acted literally, gay.

35. JM
    July 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Lia, you are a dumbass. For someone to *literally* act gay, they must do something sexual to, or with, a person of the same sex. The boyfriend in Perry’s song was acting stereotypically gay; most homosexuals do not act like that. I do not wear H&M scarves, listen to Mozart, or read Hemmingway; I am not so skinny I should really supersize the deal, and I am not secretly amused with anything (more pissed off, usually!). If Katy is all for gay rights as she says, why does she call straight people gay for having a personality that she simply doesn’t like? It implies that gays have those traits, and she doesn’t like those traits; therefore she doesn’t like gays…

36. Casey
    July 8, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Wow. I wonder how you feel now about Katy. I honestly don’t think she is homophobic in any way. It’s hard to break off from your childhood and rebuild your way of thinking, which is obviously what she did. She fully supported the Gay Rights in California, and now in New York. Her song “Firework” has two gay guys kissing in the video for it, while she’s singing about how everyone is a Firework, no matter what they are. She has never promoted anti-gay acts or spoke of it. About “Ur So Gay” she wasn’t using it as slang for homosexuality, she was using it in the way everyone does, when someone is stupid and you don’t like them. She wasn’t actually calling the guy a homosexual in the song. It was made for fun, the same as “I Kissed A Girl”. I think we all need to realize that Katy is her own person, and she believes what she believes, it doesn’t really concern us.

37. irrelevant
    August 14, 2011 at 3:06 am

As a gay teen, a girl, if it may be relevant, i am already quite literally tortured by stereotypes and naivety, and it is most certainly not a comfort to come home, turn the radio up for some music relief and hear ‘kissed a girl, its not what good girls do’. In doing further research of the artist I came across a song ‘Ur so gay.’ I dont feel that there is a need to elaborate beyond the title. Music for many people is means of expression, both in what they listen to and what they create. We all accept that. What I refuse to respect is the way in which Ms. Perry’s expression affects teens all around the world in negative ways. Now I know that we get these sentiments, homophobic sentiments, that is, from all kinds of places, but all that I can ask is that we do not receive them from the musical industries. I cannot help the fact that all over, people are preaching homophobia. Both in homes and religious places. In school, I have been shoved aside and declared a fag. Now that may hurt. In fact it does. It hurts quite a lot. Tears my heart in half. Truth is, I have only to half’s of my heart. But what hurts more, what tears my heart to pieces, is that because of just a few songs, Ms. Perry has preached homophobia to every one of her followers and fans, and she does have quite a lot. What hurts is that the media is now projecting and promoting homophobic ideas. I can only imagine how many kids there are like me who have been impacted. Honestly? I don’t give a damn if she is homophobic, all I care is that she stops promoting homophobic messages.

38. Katie
    March 7, 2013 at 1:59 am

I kissed a girl is a fun sexy song with a meaning which shouldn’t be taken too seriously! Anyway, if you listen to lyrics, she actually isn’t against homosexuality…. ” as girls we are so magical, soft skin red lips so kissable, hard to resist” etc