just a few thoughts and observations: wednesday edition

I watched Knocked Up last night (well, most of it), and I must say that Seth Rogen is totally cute. Totally. I don’t really have an opinion on the movie yet, as I didn’t finish it, and was focused on Seth’s cuteness.

I watched the season premiere of The Unit, and they totally brought it in a way I wasn’t expecting. This show definitely wins over House, hands down. Also, I watched the series premiere of Reaper, and it was fantastic!!! Well written, witty, and cute! I am definitely adding a season pass for this one. So far, one new show has definitely impressed me! I was also glad to see Tyler Labine in the show, because I liked him in Invasion, and well, I think that he is really cute. Also, the lead guy, Bret Harrison, is totally cute too! I love good shows with cute boys. That is a double hell YES!

Side note: OMG, I just looked at the IMDB entry for Reaper, and I had NO IDEA that it was Kevin Smith’s project! No wonder I liked it so much! YAY!

Is anyone else just completely embarrassed by our president? I mean, that speech yesterday was just a complete hypocritical slap in the face of the rest of the world; not to mention a complete “out of left field moment” at times (BURMA? REALLY? WTF?!). It is becoming more and more obvious that America has turned into that total bitch from high school who everyone hates and talks shit about behind her back, but she still walks around shoving her finger in people’s faces, and acting like her shit doesn’t stink; all the while, creating more people that hate her. Hello Regina George!!! But in all seriousness, it is no wonder (to anyone with a progressive bone in their body) that more and more people are expressing hatred over America. At this point, I think the best thing we can do is distance ourselves from this man, and show the rest of the planet that he does not represent what all of us think. Gah. Also, it would be REALLY NICE if we could actually practice all of the “human rights standards” that we are constantly calling the rest of the world out on.

If probability is such a simple concept as “it happens x number of times out of the possible number of times”, then why in the FUCK do they have to try as hard as possible to turn it into this amazingly difficult concept to grasp? I will never get statistics and why people try so hard to make it more difficult than it has to be. Taking a simple concept and turning it into something that is almost impossible to understand is beyond me.

Finally, as some of you know, James made a purchase. A big purchase. And I honestly don’t know how I feel about it. It stresses me out that he constantly puts his needs before mine, and sometimes, doesn’t even consider mine at all. Money has always been an issue between us, and no matter how I try to make it a non-issue, he really forces it. The worst part of it, is that I know where it comes from, have talked with him about it, have taken him to therapy and talked about it, and yet, it still permeates every part of our relationship. It isn’t something that I would leave him over, but it is definitely something that I have to vent about from time to time, in order to prevent lashing out at him about not having $10 to buy food, when it is clear that these are self imposed limits that serve to meet his needs and not ours. Ugh. Relationships are definitely a lot of work, and thank god I am willing to work at this one. I am still a little angry about the purchase, but I am sure that I will eventually let it go… I just wish that he could learn WHY it upset me. We’ll see.

Hope everyone is having a great hump day…. this was my 2 cents.

14 comments for “just a few thoughts and observations: wednesday edition

1. September 26, 2007 at 11:40 am

Re: James’ purchase.

If it bothers you so much that he bought it, why didn’t you tell him so? When I asked you two how you took it(separately), his reaction was “he took it well.” and yours was “If he can afford it *shrug*”

And over the whole weekend before he picked it up and had plenty of time to reverse his decision, he was feeling really bad about it. He was freaking out over whether or not to keep it. It was the perfect opportunity for you to voice your concern. If the money issue is a big problem and this makes it worse, you should have brought it up. Sit him down and say “hey … you can’t afford this and we need the money. Why did you do it? Will you please return it and spend the money on xyz(whatever it is he’s needing to pay that is causing your concern)”

2. September 26, 2007 at 11:56 am

But you seemed so happy about the purchase over the weekend? I think you really need to communicate more clearly/ frankly with each other.

3. September 26, 2007 at 12:20 pm

Joey and Lori, agreed, however, this is one of those, “the more you think about it” situations. The more I thought about it, the more it has bothered me. Also, I have told him how I felt. Perhaps I have misrepresented my feelings in my seemingly non-caring attitude about the whole thing (even a little to him). This was more of a vent than anything, because I told him how it made me feel; even though, so far, nothing has come of it. I am big on communication, and always tell him how I feel, I guess I am frustrated because I have repeated my issues with this particular issue over and over, and have yet to see any resolution.

And Joey, to address the “we need the money” thing, agreed as well. However, we don’t really need the money, except in instances where he is always “strapped for cash”. I guess in my vent, I made it seem like he was “taking away”, when in reality, it is more of a “where in the hell did this money come from if you are always so strapped for cash” you know? Oh well.

4. September 26, 2007 at 12:52 pm

Well, you had to have had some ground rules for common purchases when you moved in, right? Like “we need to talk before we both agree to pay for x.” Or if this isn’t a common purchase, then maybe you need to give him some room on this. Like your needs being a very expensive camera or multiple tattoos, James also has personal needs to fulfill and he sees that in this purchase.

5. September 26, 2007 at 1:29 pm

duane – do you realize that if you lived in burma (myanmar) and wrote the following post about than shwe, the military ruler of myanmar, rather than about george w. bush, you would by now be in a prison?

you would receive no fair trial, have no lawyer to represent you, you would simply be put in jail, for daring to voice criticism of the government.

yet here in the us, you can have a blog where you express in some of the most foul language your disdain for political leaders in the united states.

how can you claim any kind of relativism with the us and the regimes the president singled out?

do you really think you could express these opinions about kim jong il if you lived in north korea?

oh and i don’t think the millions of burmese who have lived under military repression for 15 years would consider the president’s public support of their cause to be “out of left field.”

6. September 26, 2007 at 2:06 pm

Well the wording wasn’t correct in what you should say to him. Obviously I don’t know the whole situation, and you need to tailor that to it. But from what I observed over the weekend, it doesn’t seem like a simple matter of “he’s putting his needs above yours.” When he has to start making payments on it, it’s only going to be 69 dollars a month. And I guarantee you that’s what he was looking at instead of the 7000 total price tag.

You may want to consider opening a joint account. It will eliminate any kind of a “well I paid this..” or “I paid for that” mentality. And then out of that, set aside two equal frivolity funds. One for you.. and one for him. Have the same amount moved to each one every month. And then when you go out and indulge yourselves, you can rest assured that one of you isn’t putting putting your needs above the other. Make sure to allocate the right amount that will keep your shopping bug under control but isn’t impairing your ability to pay the bills or continue to save. And if you want something that is outside of the budget.. or the fund can’t pay monthly… don’t get it. Problem solved.

If James is so weird with money as you’ve expressed in the past..and you’re concerned about what he’s spending, commit yourself to a rigid budget, and make him do the exact same thing. That way you’re not making him do something that you aren’t willing to do as well.

7. September 26, 2007 at 2:15 pm

James, it is “out of left field” when we are at war with another country entirely, and are threatening to go to war with their neighbor.

Joey, we have a joint account. I am not mad that he bought it, I am upset that he bought it the same week that he complained about not being able to afford the mortgage. There is more than I have said here in this rant.

8. September 26, 2007 at 2:25 pm

Oh I’m sure that there is tons of stuff that I don’t know… as there should be. But that doesn’t change the fact that if money is such an issue(as it obviously is since this is not the first time that you’ve made reference to his weirdness with money), you two should commit yourselves to some sort of budget that works for the both of you.

9. September 26, 2007 at 3:14 pm

Joey, again, I wish it were that simple, as I have tried repeatedly to do this, with no success. With regards to our bills (shared that is), we are totally 50/50. Everything else is on his or my own. That’s the way it always has been, and probably always will be.

10. September 26, 2007 at 8:55 pm

Duane, which countries should be lecturing us about human rights? Russia? China? Burma (where 4,000 protesters have been killed by the government)? Do your homework first, and don’t let your reflexive hatred of this country (is it Uncle Sam’s fault that people were mean to you in grade school) get in the way of the facts.

And as you may heard, there’s apparently no gay people in Iran, so I was thinking you could serve as a cultural attache of sorts for our community. If you can survive under the oppressive thumb of the Bush Adminstration, then certainly you can tolerate Ahmadinejad’s “quirks.”

11. September 27, 2007 at 4:56 pm

AH, another one-sided comment from my favorite one-sided “lack of perspective” obsessed fan! Dude, just because people aren’t being killed by the government, it doesn’t make us a shining example for human rights; just look around at what we have done in other parts of the world. I would continue to point it out to you, but you will continue to miss it; it gets REALLY old.

My point, that you missed (surprise), was that we have no business lecturing the world about human rights when we don’t even practice what we preach. That’s called hypocrisy, and that is what this speech was.

12. September 28, 2007 at 2:59 am

Damn Diane, you put me in my place again. So you’re saying we should say nothing while innocents are murdered in Burma?

13. mitch
    September 28, 2007 at 7:06 am

I must say I agree with Duane that you should practice what you preach and the Shrub administration has not done that (big surprise there). Shrub probably didn’t understand his own speech anyway as he is such an idiot….

14. September 28, 2007 at 11:27 am

atlmalcontent, you really do love to just make up whatever you want to from stuff you read, don’t you? I never said the Burma thing was a non-issue, what I said was, that it came out of left field; but maybe that’s because I don’t remember hearing anything about it in the news before the other day.

My point WAS that given the hostile situation in Iraq, and the numerous innocents being killed every day there, not to mention the fact that we are currently engaged in a war there, that perhaps it should take a little precedent or garner appropriate attention over another issue, like Burma. Burma’s situation is bad, and I totally hope that we do something, but I think that we need to take care of the shit we stirred up in Iraq before we start spreading out our already thinning military. Jeez, you can’t win with people like you, you condemn me for wanting us to leave Iraq, and then the second the president dangles something shiny in your face, you get distracted and want to focus on something else. You are a prime example of how this administration has done such a good job of being deceptive; you follow every distraction without question.